Thursday, April 22, 2010

Indian Film Festival Day 2!

So, in case you follow me on Twitter of on my Facebook, you are already aware of my adventures in this years Indian Film Festival (IFFLA).  I'm getting a chance to volunteer this year in many different areas of the festival...which adds even more excitement to my life!  Plus I got to see Omi Vaidya {From 3 Idiots!} but I got too nervous to approach him...oh, well...he'll probably come back for the 3 Idiots screening on Friday night!
The festival has been hosted every year at the fabulous Arclight theater, located in the heart of fabulous Hollywood, CA.  For any of you unlucky people whom have never been inside and experience the magic of this theater, let me tell you there's none like it.
Most of the Hindi films I have watched have been in the local theater which are the most beautiful theaters and sound and picture quality are just good.  So, to see them in this theater was just AMAZING!  I'm starting to sound like an ad...oh Gosh!  Now onto the films!  I actually didn't think I would get a chance to watch any films based on my volunteer hours...so when I was told I could...I was just ecstatic to say the least.
The first film I really wanted to see was Harishchandrachi Factory.  This was the first ever Marathi film I ever saw, and it was fantastic to say the least.  I have never laughed so much in my life, this was a great film to start off my festival experience with.
The story of H. Factory is that of Dadasahed Phalke, also known as the Father of Indian Cinema, and his struggles of creating the first ever Indian film, the epic story of Raja Harishchandra.  The movie follows him and his family as they struggle to pursue this dream and all the craziness that follows from trying to find and shoot in exotic locations to casting the main 'female' lead of the film.
I would say that the only fault in this film is that everything happened too quickly in that there was no real struggle in getting the money for the film, the actors, etc., there was always way in which the main character just got everything very easily.  This really keeps the film from actually being realistic, but overall an absolutely  fantastic film.
 Next movie I saw was Road Movie, with my newest obsession Abhay Deol *swoon*, unfortunately I missed the first 15 minutes so I need to find an online link and watch to truly feel like I have watched the whole thing, soo I will post up my thoughts once I get to that.
In case there are any of you Los Angelenos {?} that are not aware of the festival, hurry up! There's still time to buy tickets, but I will warn that most of the Bollywood films are getting sold out very quickly!!! As of right now there are still tickets available for tonight's Bollywood film, Kaminey.  So enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment