Saturday, December 26, 2009

Swing Batter Batter Swing... A review of Dil Bole Hadippa


Swing Batter Batter Swing....


The story of Dil Bole Hadippa is of Veera Kaur, played by the stunning Rani Mukherjee, who has a dream of becoming a professional Cricket player. Her dreams almost come to an abrupt halt when she is not allowed to try out for the men's Indian team. In the meantime the coach of the team Vikram Singh, played by Anupam Kher, desperate for an Indian victory tricks his son Rohan Singh, played by Shahid Kapoor, to come back to India and coach his team. Rohan already a professional Cricket player for the UK team is emotionally blackmailed, and helps coach his fathers team. Back to Veera, after being rejected she comes up with the brilliant scheme of becoming Veer Pratap Singh, in order to join the men's team.  Trouble ensues when Rohan starts to have feelings for Veera.  This is just a quick summary of the film.

When I first heard of a Rani + Shahid pairing I thought to myself, WoW!, that's new. I personally would have never paired them together, not that I didn't like them together, I LOVED them! It worked very well in the film, I just would have never pictured them together. Even though I enjoyed their chemistry, I felt as though it just happened too fast. She started to like him after she knew that he liked her, but more on this later.

And yes I know I'm very late on reviewing/commenting this film, since it came out in Sept. '09, but there is just so much to discuss. I don't think I've ever been so fascinated with a film like I was with this one. This is not to imply that it was a great film, because sadly...it wasn't. I think that what first drew me to this was first and foremost Rani {Yay! My Rani is Back!}. Sorry for the praise.

I'll start by pointing out what worked for me in the film:
First: the music, Yash Raj always has a tendency of having fantastic soundtracks, and this one is no exception. I loved the whole Punjab feel of it, it just worked so well, It gave the whole album a very upbeat/happy feel to it. My favorite tracks were Discowale Khisko and Ishq Hi Hai Rab.


 *********************************************************************



Second: Rakhi Sawant! Need I say more...she was a nice treat. Known only for her item numbers, she performed spectacularly well, I must say that she did only have like 3 lines in the whole film, but she did well. The item number in this film was Bhangra Bistar, which was one of my favorite music videos of this year. I loved the whole concept of gender bending, this always makes for an interesting show. Veera as the 'man' and Rakhi the 'woman.' In the words of Filmi Girl , "Dil Bole Hadippa gives us a healthy dose of lesbian kantaben-style romps...Rani [Veera Kaur] gets in some relatively steamy scenes with Rakhi Sawant...].


Lastly: the Veera + Rohan aspect of the film, was by far the best thing of the film. Yes, their love blossomed very fast, but when doesn't love 'just happen' especially in a Bollywood film??? Given what they had to work with, they did a pretty good job. I think it was the way Rohan would look into Veera's eyes that would just make anyone melt *sigh*
There's a specific scene where this is perfectly shown, during the picturization of, “Ishq Hi Hai Rab,” where Rohan walks through these blue silk sheets, in what I think is called a kurta, {looking quite sexy, I might add}. The moment he locks eyes with Veera is just beautiful, you really fall for it, you just know it's pyaar.

This was pretty much what I loved from the film. Like I said earlier, it wasn't a great film but it wasn't horrible, there's a reason as to why I've seen this film over ten times since I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment