Saturday, January 23, 2010

I know Karate...So there shouldn't be a problem... A Review of Jab We Met


Ok!...so I know this review will be a little biased, on account that this is my all time favorite Hindi film, but whatever. So, the story of Jab We Met is that of Aditya Kashiap, played by Shahid Kapoor *sigh*, failing business industrialist, who decides to get on a train to escape his troubled personal life in Mumbai. During his train ride he meets the very talkative {and I really mean this, she talks even when she's sleeping lol} and bubbly Geet, played beautifully by Kareena Kapoor.

Eventually the trip consists of Geet missing her train, not once but twice, and needing to stay at a Hotel {Hotel Decent} with Aditya while at the same time being mistaken for a call girl {3 hours ;-)}, and having to warn Aditya that she knows Karate so there wouldn't be a problem. Eventually they reach Geet' home in Bhatinda, where her entire family is there to greet her. She immediately finds out that her family has arranged her marriage to long time family friend Manjeet Mann, but Geet's only reason for coming back home was to later run away to elope with her boyfriend Anshuman.

I don't want to say much more...I really am not good at recommending films but this one is just so good!!! I believe this to be one of Kareena Kapoor's most strongest roles to date. I think that one of the best moments in the film is when Geet misses the train for a second time...her expression is just priceless!

The ending song that seems to be an Imtiaz Ali trademark in his films worked so much better in this film than it did in Love Aaj Kal. Mauja Hi Mauja integrates itself into the wedding ceremony, unlike Aahun Aahun whose sole purpose is just to be an ending song. Don't get me wrong, I freaking love Auhun Aahun...I just feel that it didn't fit as well as the song in Jab We Met.

2 comments:

  1. I remember really liking Kareena in this (up to that point I'd only seen her in K3G and she irritated the hell out of me). I also remember laughing my ass off during the scene where Shahid and Kareena chase the train in their car - it looked so amateur it was hilarious! Great songs in the film too, some of the very first I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i know! the first time i saw that scene i was like WTH too...and my bro made fun of me for watching such bad graphix...The film is just so perfect for me!!....Thanx for the comment!

    ReplyDelete