Sunday, January 24, 2010

Show Me Your An Animal Raj!...A Review of Aitraaz


Give me an Akki + Bebo jodi, I'm in! Add to that a sexually frustrated Priyanka who tries to sexually exploit our Akshay, I'm so there!!! This is as good of a cast as it gets.

This film belongs entirely to Priyanka. I love this film because it plays well into challenging gender norms, but of course it also does a good job of reinforcing them as well, but I focus mostly on the good aspects of this film. The basic story of Aitraaz is of the sexually unsatisfied wife of business mogul/owner of Voice Mobile Ranjeet Roi, played by Amrish Puri in a non-bad guy avatar, played brilliantly by Priyanka Chopra. Sonia whom tries to bribe Raj, played by the Sexy Akshay Kumar, an engineer who works for Voice Mobile into a having a sexual relationship with her, even though he's already married to Anjali, played by Kareena Kapoor {Bebo}.

When Raj rejects Sonia's advances, she accuses him of attempted rape. Anjali eventually discovers what happened and tells Raj that she's behind him and that he should fight for the truth. So now Raj would sue Sonia for sexual harassment. This of course angers Ranjeet, and this issue is then taken to court.

What's so awesome about this is that after watching Paresh Rawal do so many comedies is that I finally got a chance to see him play a sort of serious hard ass lawyer and I LOVED IT!!!

During the court procedures, news reporters made it seem as though this act committed by a woman was just unimaginable, I mean how could a woman ever be capable of doing such things.

Even during court proceedings the defense attorney gives this as his opening statement, “It is said in the scriptures, that a woman is like a river. If she remains in the boundaries of her banks she brings happiness and prosperity. And if she breaks the boundaries of her banks all she brings is destruction.”

When the original defense lawyer for Raj is unable to protect him from prison it's up to, the Good Wife, Anjali to protect her man/husband. And of course Anjali succeeds, she protects her husband from the evil woman Sonia {and prison}.

I remember a quote used by Chotlani, the prosecuting attorney, “Do you know why I lost this case? Because no lawyer was defending you. It was your wife. And when a faithful wife defends her husband, she can bring back life to him from the Lord Yama too.”

The music is Ok, not really anything to write home about. I really enjoyed the pictuarization of the song Tala Tum and Voh Tassavur {Kareena looks fantastic!}. The end song is nice, but forgettable. Overall the film was very enjoyable, but I would rent it first unless your a hardcore Akki fan I wouldn't recommend buying this film.


2 comments:

  1. i wrote this up soemtime time ago, I thought the songs were fab and Priyanka was hilarious in her sex crazed scenes Raj RAJ show me you're an a animal(Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music was all right...I agree this is one my favorite Priyanka films...she's so awesome...Thnx for the comment...

    ReplyDelete