Friday, February 5, 2010

Dulha Mil Gaya...Hmmm...There's so much to hate...

Ok! So...I saw this film the day after I came back from my wonderful vacation in Mexico.  So of course I was desperate for any Bollywood fix!  I must say that I had absolutely NO EXPECTATIONS for this film, the only reason I was watching it was for Shahrukh and a little for Sushmita Sen.  I've always liked it better when these older  men are paired with women that are closer to their age, it looks much better on screen and the chemistry is much more believable.  Not like those men *cough* SRK *cough* who are paired with 20 year old girls!
So now onto the film ... Ok! ... the only thing that saved Dulha Mil Gaya from being a total catastrophe was the Main Hoon Na jodi, I really wish I could see more SRK + Sushmita pairings, they really compliment each other as an onscreen pair.
Sushmita's Diva-licious character Shimmer, had some of the best lines in the film ... "Upgraded Passenger"---Love it!!!
I must also give credit to King of Romance {SRK} as well, he did well with what he was given.  He and Sushmita made the film tolerable.  And this is me being nice with my review...I hated everything else the other couple, Fardeen Khan + Ishita Sharma was just *ugh* just a waste of film.
I hate it when films enforce the same stereotypes and try to justify it in such a way that it demeans...me, basically and makes me just want to scream at the screen!!!  Of course I am in no way implying that these stereotypes occur in only Hindi films.  But this is one of the very few films that I personally have seen that have made me feel the need to say something publicly about it.
It happens during the climax, kinda like at the end, the problem that I have with this whole scene is that Samarpreet, played by Ishita Sharma, has absolutely NO RIGHT to criticize Shimmer's relationship {or lack there of} with Pawan {aka PRG}, played by Shahruk, and her way of thinking.  Samarpreet is the absolute last person that should ever have an opinion on relationships.
She, herself is trying to make Tej {aka Donsai, he is referred by this name though out most of the film}, played by Fardeen Khan, fall in love with her, even though he only married her so he would be allowed to collect his father's inheritance, as part a deal that Donsai's dad had with Samarpreet's relatives .  Her story is that after getting married to Tej {Donsai}, he leaves her to go on business--promising that he would come back for her--she hears no news of him for 3 months and decides to find him, not knowing what would be waiting for her when she met him once again.
Of course, she finds him having the time of his life unlike her, who is shown as being the depressed wife crying and waiting for her man to come back home. The marking point in this, is that she see's him make out with another girl, so you can clearly tell that he has no intentions of being faithful or even acknowledging their marriage.
Eventually Samarpreet meets Shimmer to whom she tells her story to and lucky enough for her, Shimmer and Donsai have been very good friends for years.  Shimmer along with her entourage decide to glam up Samarpreet and turn her into the glammed up Samara; to the point were she is unrecognizable to her husband and therefore allowing him to fall in love with her.
So...back to the real problem.  The new Samara, has the audacity to criticize someone's relationship when she herself is trying to win over her estranged husband by sexing herself up.  In the end of course Donsai falls in love with the glammed up wife, Samara.  
But after he is reminded that he in fact does have a wife waiting for him he feels the need to come clean and confess that he loves Samara but he's already married to Samarpreet and is going back to her and fulfill his duties as her husband.
Eventually Donsai realizes that Samara is in fact Samarpreet his wife and they both live happily ever after knowing that Donsai finally loves wife.  Although it technically wasn't his wife, because he was unaware of the truth until after he fell in love, but all is well because that other woman is in fact his wife, so it's OK!  
***Donsai would have never gone back to his wife.  I feel 100% confident stating this and I hate the fact that this is the happy ending we, as the audience, are supposed to be rooting for.  I mean come on...!
Now onto the music...I really enjoyed the soundtrack, but only three songs were really fantastic one was Dulha Mil Gaya, Aaja Mere Ranjhna, and Magar Meri Jaan.


2 comments:

  1. I thought this movie was okay, but I totally agree about the Donsai/Samara storyline, plus Fardeen as the ultimate lover boy? Come on! Thank god for Shah and Sushmita, who I would also love to see in a mature love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i'm glad someone agrees with me...Fardeen as a loverboy???...he wishes...and Yes! i hope SRK+Sushmita make more films together...

    ReplyDelete